December 5, 2006

The Ref


To say that being a referee for a Special Olympics High School basketball game is "interesting" may be the understatement of the year. This is my first time ever doing such a thing and I think some people thought that I was too much of a sarcastic jerk to do it well, but I had a smile on my face the whole time. It was awesome helping students understand a game that I love watching and playing. Sure there were times where flagrant traveling and double dribbling occurred but for the most part parents understood that I let their kid get away with as much as everyone else. And sure, there were times that I had to dodge the kid that would just run randomly around the court or the kid that would just stand in the paint biting his hands. Would I do it again? You betcha.