February 3, 2007

A Good Barber is Hard to Find

One of the hardest things about moving to a new town is finding a place to get a haircut. It is usually a case of the Goldilocks' porridge. It was no difference in my case.

My criteria was simple:
1. Have a barber's pole out front.
2. Not part of a corporate chain.
3. Have old-fashioned barber's chair (not expecting a porcelain base or anything).
4. Cash only.

Too Crass:
I thought that I found paydirt on my first shot: small shop down by the riverwalk and historic downtown area. Barber pole spinning (yes - even spinning!) out front trying to centripetally force me in. There were old fashioned register in the middle and five chairs on the perimeter. The guy that cut my hair was in his fourties and made some 'funny' jokes about having an old nag as a wife and about how he hated school. I was still looking for a job at the time (which prompted the school digs) and I had an interview the next day so it seemed natural that when I landed the job the next week that I would return. However, the jokes got old/uncomfortable the next month so I never went back. Next!

Too Inconvenient:
So I moved on. I found a barber shop even closer to my house with a working pole plus only two chairs (community must happen here!); the bathroom is even charmingly hidden behind 3 doors in the basement; and it is right on the corner. What sold me here was that the barber respected education but put an amusing twist on it. "I was doing great until seventh grade - then I went to a Who concert" How can you not fall for a one liner like that!? To make things even more perfect the barbers use a straight blade to trim up the back of the neck instead of the regular trimmers. However, they close at 5 on weekdays and are only open for a few hours on Saturdays which means that when IU lost in that foul-fest marathon vs Iowa; I couldn't even get my haircut. Next!

Just Right:
The barber's name is Joe; has 50 years experience; uses the lather and straight blade, and knows the name of the haircut that I want after I describe it (Princeton, long) - the shop is between the two other shops but still within walking distance,has seven chairs, and lots of chatter. Joe talked about convertible care, his stint in Greenland during WWII, and beards. He also had a great one-liner of his own, "Men don't wear clean gym shoes." He works until 7:00 on Thursdays. I'll return.