May 6, 2005

Peace Corps Update

Haven't written much about this lately. Mostly because I'm starting to get a little chatter about why I shouldn't go. Too bad, I say to them. I want to be as close to the Axis of Evil as possible! Actually, I realized that my geography isn't as good as I thought it was because many of the countries that are possibilities are very close to Iran, Iraq, and Syria.

About two weeks ago, I had my formal interview with the Chicago Regional Office. I thought that things went very well and at the end my interviewer, Jamie, asked to set up a second interview. I of course agreed but said that I would be out of town on my road trip so we may have to schedule after that. She said that she meant later that week. So, I guess things went very well.

On Friday, I call back for my second interview in which we discussed my expectations and preferences. She said that we wanted to formally nominate me for a Eastern Europe / Central Asia volunteership at a Teacher's College, which means that I would be training teachers how to make their lessons more dynamic to reach all types of learners.

In the next couple of weeks, I will recieve a formal nomination notice and packet with information about my medical, dental, and vision check. Once I send that back to the medical office and they review the information, I'll be offered a placement in 4-6 months.