October 12, 2005

Greetings from Idaho

I met a woman this summer at Craters of the Moon National Park. The people camping next to me were having a bickering session, so I decided to climb on the lava in the campground for a while. Before I knew it I was in the next camp, and stumbled upon a camper reading about Swahili. I introduced myself and we ended up talking for about 5 hours until it was so cold we had to retreat to our sleeping bags.

We kept in touch during my trip then didn't. Yesterday, I got a call and she said she was visiting a friend in Fort Wayne. Of all places! So Abbey, Stephen, and I met her and her friend at Hank's for a drink. I brought pictures. My friends got a glimpse of my trip and I started to appreciate that this trip will stay with me for quite some time. Dana and I were both nervous that we wouldn't recognize each other. At the time, I was taking showers in sinks if I could find them and we both looked exactly how two travelers that have been away from home for weeks are expected to look. Regardless, we found each other and shared our stories again. This time away from extinct volcanos.