October 30, 2005

River City Rat Race

Yesterday I ran the River City Rat Race - my first competitive race since high school. Abbey and I ran the first four miles together - miles started at the Fort Wayne Performing Arts Center, up the historic homes of Columbia Avenue (Rocky cheered us on) around the Rose Gardens, along the greenway and past the fort. After 4 miles Abbey's legs started to tighten and I was feeling good so we split up. I ran the last 2. through downtown, along Columbia Street, and Headwaters and Lawton Parks. We ran at about 10:00 minute miles and I finished at 1:01.00 and Abbey came in at 1:05. It was a little chilly but was great running weather and while we certainly weren't competitive, we didn't come in last either. The miracle isn't that we finished but that we had the courage to start.

Check out the website http://www.rcratrace.org/