January 12, 2006

Coolest Explorer

I tried to read Confederacy of Dunces I really tried, but for being a Laugh-Out-Loud comedy, prize-winning book, I've chuckled once, maybe twice, and both of those were internal chuckles. My favorite writer Nicholson Baker said that there is nothing more impressive than to see someone laughing while reading. This book fails to make me look impressive, but I'm half way and I'm not comfortable just putting it down.

I've decided on a new plan: begin reading a nonfiction book while reading snippets of the Dunces. What I didn't bargain for was how rivetting a book about a 1700's Danish turned Russian explorer would be. Vitus Bering, who we all know from The Bering Strait, which we all know seperates Russian from Big Land (America), led a pretty awesome life. By the time he was fifteen he was going on major sailing expeditions. Later in life he went to America and back, then when he was 42 he was assigned to map the coast of Siberia and see if Russian connected to America. It took him three years to go across Russian starting at St. Petersburg. Imagine three winters in Northern Russia! He then spent 3 months sailing in pseudo-explored waters then he had to make it back to give his report. He lost 15 men, many deserters, and over 500 horses.

What does he decide to do next? Start an expedition to do it again but this time with professors, and navigators, and soldiers, and botanists, and over a thousand other people. Imagine the logistical nightmare!

I can't wait to get home tonight to read more.
Please notice the pun in the title if you haven't done so already.
Be impressive laugh out loud.