March 13, 2005

Blue Jeans

I ended up at Henry's last night. After a couple of friends left to go back to their house I stayed and continued to read Unconsoled, I really enjoy reading in crowded spaces. All the overlapping conversations and music actually help me concentrate more so than a silent apartment. Plus, I get to feel like I'm out and about even though I don't particularly enjoy the whole weekend "being out" scene. Stephen eventually dropped by and we had a nice conversation. He was busy thinking of insightful questions to ask David Brooks, since he has to interview him for the school's paper. I was busy thinking of insightful heckles that I could yell when I go to the Brooks lecture next Thursday.

Today Gwen and I hung out at the Fly for a while then we went shopping for items that I still need for my road trip - plastic shovel, whistle, matches, rope. We then went to IPFW and I tried to teach her how to drive a stick. When Andrew tried to teach me last summer it turned into an absolute disaster; Max was laughing in the baskseat most of the time unless he was getting thrown forward which would make him laugh even harder. I felt like I was destroying Andrew's new car. Of course, two weeks later I drove up to Michigan and bought my Miata and drove it home without any more practice. Maybe the best way to drive a stick is just to do it: there's not a whole lot of practical application to driving around a parking lot dodging light posts and medians.

I'm tired and little sad for some reason. Maybe not sad, just anxious. Anxious for the school year to end, anxious to start my trip, anxious to meet people, anxious to feel the wind in my hair as I explore our nation's backroads and idiosyncrasies, anxious to fall in love again.

Hearing: Dear Catastrophe Waitress by Belle and Sebastian