September 17, 2005

Frisbee, Football, Flowers

After school, as I am usually apt to do, on Friday I play Ulimate with the students. One of my favorite students, Watson Brown, was there this Friday. He is the quiet, smart, funny student in class who reminds me so much of Chris Rupley, my best friend in middle school; except while Chris and I would be outside digging in mud, riding bikes, and playing swingball, we could never play actual sports because I was taller, faster, and more adroit. Chris, I don' think had the same competitive spirit that so he simply amused me by trying things that I liked to do. Watson on the hand is Chris Rupley with the competitive wherewithall. I always look forward to talking with him in class or throwing Frisbee.

This observation doesn't quite jibe with how I've been feeling overall lately though. For the better part of a week now I've been rather depressed. This summer I had an amazing trip - I reconnected with old friends, met new people, and more than anything had plenty of time for myself. However, after spending so much time with old friends, introspective friends, best friends - I returned home to "transition friends". The time that I'm living in my hometown before I head off to the Peace Corps feels more temporary than before. Aside from but sometimes including Stephen, I don't feel particularly close to any of my friends in Fort Wayne. Maybe this is a grass is greener argument, but if I could hang out with Steve-o or Kimberly I think I would feel more fulfilled because they ask challenging questions and enjoy things the way I enjoy them. And I think the big difference is age. My college friends, my best friends, are all about 28. I'm currently 25, but my current friends are all 22.

Don't think I don't see the irony here.

So yesterday after we went to see the 9:50 showing of "Broken Flowers," and I wanted to go home there was a palpable moment of misgiving abou the fact that I didn't want to continue the night. I would prefer reading a book and falling asleep to another night of drinking.

-----------------
Homecoming Game:
We lost to my Alma Mater 35-14. Our quarterback broke his leg early; we never recovered. I had chain duty - the best nonseat in the house.

"Broken Flowers"
Ok, I get it, Jim, but your movie still sucks the life out of me. Hey, Bill, we are all impressed that you can do so little and express so much, but let's try a different role sometime soon. While your "acting", I'm napping.

------------------
Reading:
"Naked Economics" by Wheelan

Hearing:
"Castaways and Cutouts" by The Decemberists