August 6, 2010

Summer Project #4: Grandpa Niehaus' Pasta Sauce

I thought it would be a good idea to write this down somewhere.
2 lbs of tomatoes - peeled and seeded (I used a mix of the five varieties that I'm growing in garden)
1 med onion - chopped fine
24 oz. tomato paste
46 oz. tomato juice
12 oz. hot water
1/2 cup sugar
5-6 "toes" of garlic
A handful of oregano (dried from the garden)
A handful of basil (also dried from the garden)
2 Tbsp red pepper flakes
2 Tbsp celery flakes
2 tsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 bottle red wine (I used Root:1 Cabernet Sauvignon 2008 from Chile)
----
I added some bay leaves, a minced seeded jalapeno, and fine chopped green pepper.

All the ingredients in the pot (yes, that's Grandpa's pasta sauce pot). 
Raise to a boil and then reduce to low (a constant simmer).

Six hours later.  Don't underestimate the importance of the wooden spoon.

Mangia, mangia.