August 7, 2010

Summer Project #5: The Garage

There are really three projects going on here and it took me the better part of three days to do everything.  I built a workbench; I built a bike rack (the idea was inspired by Scott); I organzied tools (ladder, toolbox, wall organizer).

Here's the finished product.

The bike rack on the left now stores all of the camping gear and random bike parts and pumps on the pine shelf.  It can hang 5 - 6 bikes on its hooks which are connected to the pine shelf by a 2" x 6" x 4' pine board underneath the 16" x 10" brackets.


Gets everything off the floor, but keeps everything readily accessible.  The bikes are locked to the brackets to discourage theft.


The workbench was built with the help of "Ask the Builder".  The legs are 4x4.  The bottom 3/4" plywood shelf is supported with 2x4 and the work surface is supported with 2x6.  The top is 72 x 32 and is 34" off the ground which seems perfect for my height.

A good view of the sunflowers.


The yard tools are now lined up and off the floor.  Plenty of room for two cars now.  I'm glad I don't have a "before" picture.