February 12, 2006

Fort Wayne Fanny Freezer 5K


K and I ran in Shoaff Park on Saturday. She took the train and was in town for the weekend. The race was two loops around the golf course. We showed up at 12:45 for preregistration because I thought the race began at 1:00. The race began at 2:00 though and we avoided the 20 degree weather by sitting in a cold car and listening to the miserable Hoosiers lose yet another game - this time at home versus the Hawkeyes. My parents came to cheer us on which was awesome; my mom in her long thermal green coat, my dad in his red UD Flyers hat.

The race overall was scenically boring, but we had to overcome a few obstacles. At first my feet became numb, but I thought that this was because of my new socks and shoes but K had the same symptoms and we realized that our feet felt like ice blocks because of the freezing temps. K and I ran together for much of the first 2 miles then as I was running up the hill the second time my nose started to bleed. At first I was just wiping it on my hand, but it didn't look like it was going to stop so I picked up a leaf and soaked it with a bloody mucus mix. K saw what was happening and offered a glove that she was wearing. I took the glove, stuck a finger up my nose and continued running. During the entire race flurries were falling, but down the backstretch the snow was so heavy and and blowing so quickly that I ran much of it with my eyes closed.

I finished at 29:22 and promptly got rid of some jello that I eaten earlier. Another race, another great experience.