March 21, 2006

Open Letter to McDonald's

McDonald’s Corporation
2111 McDonald's Dr
Oak Brook, IL 60523

Dear Sir or Madam

I have recently returned to your franchise after a long, self-imposed furlough. The delicious mint and vanilla taste of your Shamrock Shake took me back to the days when your sandwiches used to be boxed in thick Styrofoam and I would try to sneak fries from the bag without my mother noticing.

However, time passes, we age, and custoners become more discriminating, so I was a little perplexed by the menu when I visited your store a few days ago. The $1 Menu looks to be a tremendous value to the consumer and most likely a boon to your pocketbook, but I was a little stymied by one of your offerings.

How can a double cheeseburger be sold for $1 and a regular cheeseburger for 95 cents? I can only figure two options; neither of which makes sense so I was hoping for a little clarity on this issue.

Option #1: The double cheeseburger is a loss leader; however, the obvious problem here is that people are probably not ordering much more food because the double cheeseburger fills a respectable appetite, so you’re just left with a loss. This is not good business.

Options #2: You realize that the cheeseburger is an incredibly bad deal but since you built your reputation on this offering, it would seem untraditional to remove it. Not to mention, in this increasingly health-conscious world, the reaction when people realize the smallest sandwich you offer would be the double.

Thank you for your time regarding my query; any information you could offer would be of great interest.

Sincerely,

Boot