April 19, 2006

The 2006 Race to Wrigley 5K

Since I'm moving to Chicago in about a month the inevitable question needed to be answered soon. Cubs or White Sox? If I root for the White Sox I look like a Johnny-come-lately and even worse, a bandwagon hopper; if I root for the Cubs I would immediately turn into a drunken frat boy with my hat backwards and develop an unhealthy obsession with "next year". The choice was obvious.

This way, 90 years from now, I can complain that I moved to Chicago and began rooting for the White Sox the year after they won the World Series and bemoan the fact that they haven't won one since. Plus, whenever I would venture to Chicago to see a ballgame in the past with the boy scouts or some other organization we would go to Comisky - I've never been to Wrigley.

So it was with a little chagrin and a lot of trepidation that I ventured up to Wrigleyville last Saturday to run the "Race to Wrigley" - a truly terrible race. I seem to remember the day as cold, possibly rainy, with dark clouds and occassional lightning behind the ivy-fenced Castle Grayskull. The weather channel, however, seems to think it was in the brisk upper 50's and totally sunny. The race had 3,000 participants so the pace was slow because the pack would have to walk when we had to turn. The fellow runners were obnoxious, often cutting others off. I saw at least 10 people cut across the course well before the turn- arounds; they all seemed to be wearing blue and red and white outfits with a large "C" on them. Cubs? I think not, "Cheaters".

After running the first 3 miles through Hades' bar district, the last .1 mile went into the gates of Wrigley and through the concourse. I've never run faster.

Overall, K and I finished a little slower than usual, but I think we were happy to escape with our Sox-loving heads.