April 25, 2006

My Favorite Season

I had two favorite times of year in college; the beginning of fall and spring semester. The few weeks ahead of time I would pick up a schedule of classes and begin debating which courses to take next term, which prof was best. I had scheduling down to a science I would track which courses were filling up, which were cancelled, where I stood in line for waitlisting. My senior I acutally registered in less than 10 minutes. There was a rush to get in, and get out with the best schedule possible. Literally, my heart would beat faster and I would sweat trying to beat the other hundreds of people that were registering simultaneously.

But the real rush was going to the book store to buy the course books. How could you not look forward to that? I couldn't wait to see which books I was going to be able to discuss with a professor, which books I probably wasn't going to read, and which books I didn't look forward to but would read anyway. "Hope Leslie", anyone?

Nowadays, I'm out of college and don't get to experience buying course books anymore. When I'm in a college town, I still mosey over to the textbook section and see what the undergrads are reading for Postmodern Lit or Introduction to Literature but it's not the same - I don't have the excitement for it. I'm on the other side of the glass, looking in.

My current favorite time of year is going on right now. It's the time when I spread out garbage bags on my floor and repot all my houseplants. Some don't make the cut and get thrown away to make room for new plants or old plants that need new digs. Many branches are pruned back and cuttings are made toward propigation. The whole process takes three or four days. Already, just a few days later my cactus plants have already started to grow and a few plants have begun to flower. When the basil that K and I are growing made the push through the soil, I actually jumped up and down at the new growth.