April 11, 2006

Your Time Confuses Me


This year I had to deal with daylight savings time. For the first time. Ever since I could tell time, I have lived in one of those few states that doesn't observe daylight savings time. This always gave me a cool feeling when I could check Eastern (Indiana) as my Time Zone option. I guess as long as the crops get their sunlight, it don't matter what hour we call it out here in the sticks. Well, our governor grabbed the bull by the horns on his last campaign and decided that all of Indiana should be on the same time zone instead of three different ones. Well after much debate, we now observe Eastern Standard Time unless you don't, so we still have three time zones but now instead of not changing clocks, we do. Whatever.

However, this year for my first daylight savings celebration I was in Chicago, so it wasn't a big deal to everyone because they've been doing it for years. Of course, K and I forgot and sprung forward about 7 hours later than everyone else. Indiana was already one hour ahead of Chicago when I arrived so I didn't actually have to change my computer or watch.

Well a week goes by and I arrive back in Indiana assuming that all of my clocks are in order. On Sunday night, as I am getting ready for bed I realize it's not actually midnight but instead 1:00 a.m. There goes my good night's sleep; Daylight Savings Time pulled a fast one on me, albeit one week late.