April 22, 2006

St. Jude's Run with the Spirit 5K

This morning I went back to my grade school to run the Run with the Spirit 5K. After spending K - 8 in this neighborhood, being educated in the Catholic tradition there, it's funny how I never really noticed the landscape. Maybe when you're younger you have boundless energy, you aren't really allowed too far away from the school grounds, and you spend most your time playing parking lot football and trying to impress girls; so you never really care about how hilly certain streets are.

The course did a loop just west of the school then came back and went east into the park area behind the adjacent hospital then came west back for a smaller loop. The course was a good challenge and my quads definately felt the burn of the rolling hills. I finished with a respectable 28:15 and beat a few runners that usually finish ahead of me.

Up at the head of the winning pack was my friend's little brother who we used to call "Goober" growing up. It's hard to believe that I can remember when Goober was first born and now he's out running races ahead of most other comers. I may not be as fast or as competitive as I used to be but I enjoy "it" more. I've never felt more comfortable or confident. Just part of growing up, I suppose.